CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Kenton County commonwealth attorney Rob Sanders says he is confident people are going to be held accountable for threats made after an incident this past weekend involving Covington Catholic students.
CovCath students left school Wednesday under close police supervision. It was the first day they’d been back in school since an incident this past weekend in Washington, D.C.
“Obviously there have been threats made, however, we felt with the security plan in place that it was very, very safe to send the kids back,” said Sanders.
Some of the social media threats to the school and students have been extreme. One person called to burn the school down and fire on the MAGA hat-wearing students on sight.
“A lot of people are reaching out to us saying, ‘Why hasn’t anyone been arrested yet?’ It’s not a quick process,” said Sanders.
Two CovCath students spoke earlier this week about their experience, saying there have been threats made against their lives and their parents' lives.
“It’s not as easy as running out an arresting a Twitter handle. In fact, we can’t arrest a Twitter handle. We have to contact Twitter, we have to send them search warrants, subpoena and find out who the owner of the account is," said Sanders.
He said he has over a dozen threats that he finds associated with a credible person and their intention to do the school or its students harm.
“I am confident that before this is all over some people are going to be held accountable for what they said," he said.