Warmbiers file motion to get $501M owed to them by N. Korea

Warmbiers file motion to get $501M owed to them by N. Korea
Otto Warmbier

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - The parents of Otto Warmbier filed a motion Tuesday asking the federal courts to allow them to get $501 million owed to them by North Korea.

In December, a federal judge held North Korea liable for Warmbier’s torture and death. The judge ordered the money to go to Otto’s parents and his estate.

Fred and Cindy Warmbier said they were thankful that the court found the government of Kim Jong Un “legally and morally” responsible for their son’s death.

The Warmbier’s filed a lawsuit against North Korea requesting $1.05 billion in punitive damages.

In Tuesday’s filing, the Warmbier’s said a reasonable amount of time has passed since the judgement was served last month.

If agreed to, the Warmbiers would be able to use federal or state law to try and get their money.

Otto Warmbier was accused in January 2016 of trying to steal a propaganda banner while visiting the country. He was imprisoned by the North Korean government and suffered severe brain damage, but there were no signs of physical trauma.

Warmbier was evacuated in a coma on June 13 and returned home to his family in Cincinnati.

The 22-year-old was taken straight from the airport to University of Cincinnati Medical Center, where he died six days later.

This past year, a North Korean spokesman denied that Otto Warmbier had been tortured while in custody.

Copyright 2019 WXIX. All rights reserved.