My ten favorite movies of 2009 (in no particular order)
- "Me and Orson Welles"- The best movie about the theater that I've ever seen. This little gem is about the great, complex auteur Orson Welles' early Mercury Theater days. Christian McKay, as Welles, is dead-on both physically and vocally...his performance is certainly Oscar-worthy. And who knew Zach Efron could act?
- "Up in the Air"- George Clooney at his best. Great cast, great script and a great take on today's tough economic times.
- "The Hurt Locker"- This hair-raising dose of reality about the war in Iraq is the best war movie I've seen since "Platoon". Should win the Oscar for Best Picture.
- "Tyson"- This documentary packs quite a wallop as boxer Mike Tyson delivers some incredibly honest hay-makers to himself. I've begun to understand, and even sympathize, with Iron Mike after hearing the poignant, pathetic story in his own words.
- "Avatar"- Visually stunning. And I was surprised by how much I actually liked the story. It took him over a decade but James Cameron was able to top Titanic. Must been seen in Imax 3D.
- "Adventureland"- This tale of life at an 80's amusement park takes you on a fun, sweet ride. I enjoyed every minute of this movie.
- "500 Days of Summer"- The best, and most entertaining romantic comedy of the year. Zooey Deschanel is wonderful as the beautiful, quirky Summer. Also, the best closing line of any movie I saw in 2009.
- "Invictus"- director Clint Eastwood continues to get better with age. His story of how Nelson Mandela united a country through rugby is poignant and powerful. Major props to both Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon...both will probably receive Oscar nods.
-"The Hangover"- I felt like I was on a trip to Vegas with my buddies. A very funny movie..
"Crazy Heart"- Jeff Bridges puts aside vanity for the performance of his life. He will win the Oscar for Best Actor.
(Others that almost made it: "Funny People", "Brothers", "Play it Loud" and "Public Enemies"
Friday, May 24 2013 10:11 PM EDT2013-05-25 02:11:14 GMT
A pedestrian was hit and killed Friday evening in College Hill. Authorities say it happened at the intersection of Hamilton Avenue and North Bend Road, a larger intersection in the area, around 9 p.m. TheFull Story >
A pedestrian was hit and killed Friday evening in College Hill. Authorities say it happened at the intersection of Hamilton Avenue and North Bend Road, a larger intersection in the area, around 9 p.m.Full Story >
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:31 PM EDT2013-05-22 02:31:55 GMT
The claim that the ongoing IRS scandal is limited to low level employees is falling apart. The six Cincinnati workers we have identified, who sent scrutinizing letters to conservative groups with wordsFull Story >
The claim that the ongoing IRS scandal is limited to low level employees is falling apart. Full Story >
Thursday, May 23 2013 10:17 PM EDT2013-05-24 02:17:47 GMT
Heads are starting to roll at the IRS. A day after pleading the 5th and refusing to testify before Congress, Lois Lerner, the IRS Director of Tax Exempt Organizations was placed on administrative leaveFull Story >
A day after pleading the 5th and refusing to testify before Congress, Lois Lerner, the IRS Director of Tax Exempt Organizations was placed on administrative leave Thursday. We have learned more about Lois Lerner's connections to Cindy Thomas, the highest ranking Cincinnati employee in this IRS division.Full Story >
Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."Full Story >
The trucker was hauling drilling equipment when his load bumped against the steel framework over an Interstate 5 bridge. He looked in his rearview mirror and watched in horror as the span collapsed into the water behind him....Full Story >
Friday, May 24 2013 6:19 PM EDT2013-05-24 22:19:48 GMT
Last week, Acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller said "two rouge IRS employees" were responsible for targeting conservative groups in 2012, something the IRS admitted to. However, the Exempt OrganizationFull Story >
The IRS worker says an Exempt Organization Specialist's job is to ask questions to those applying for 501(c)4 status, but there was never any intent to target conservative groups. The worker says this is not the conspiracy some are making it up to be.Full Story >
The Village of Morrow: 2013 Memorial Day Parade Monday, May 27, 2013 Participants must line up at 10 a.m. at the former Morrow Elementary School located on Pike St., the parade is to start at 11 a.m. ContactFull Story >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 1:23 PM EDT2013-05-22 17:23:38 GMT
A Charlotte mother is teaching her young son a lesson, by having him arrested, after he stole her Pop-Tarts, according to a police report. According to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police report, officersFull Story >
A Charlotte mother is teaching her young son a lesson, by having him arrested, after he stole her Pop-Tarts, according to a police report.Full Story >
635 W. 7th Street
Cincinnati, OH 45203
Switchboard: (513) 421-1919
Newsroom: (513) 421-0119
Press releases: desk@FOX19.com