Posted by Trina Kinstler - email
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Fourteen people have applied to be the next superintendent of Cincinnati Public Schools.
The applicants include six candidates who are current superintendents, five with extensive experience in K-12 education and three with non-traditional backgrounds. Seven live in Ohio and seven are out of state; 12 are men and two are women.
Among the applicants is current CPS interim superintendent Mary Ronan.
In addition to online and print advertising, the search process involved outreach to various national organizations to identify potential candidates. A video about the search was also posted on the district's Web site and various online social networking sites.
The applications will be forwarded to the Community Advisory Committee, a broad-based group of community representatives that will meet later this week to decide which candidates to interview.
The board began its search last year for a successor to Rosa Blackwell, who retired on July 31. After determining that two finalists were not the right match, Board members decided to continue the search. Ronan has been interim since August.
The applicants are:
- Mohammad Aziz, of Cincinnati, a self-employed business consultant
- Dr. William DeFrance, of Eaton Rapids, Mich, the superintendent of Eaton Rapids Schools
- David C. Estrop, of Lakewood, Ohio, the superintendent of Lakewood City Schools
- Christopher W. Hammill, of Detroit, Mich., the assistant superintendent of Detroit Public Schools
- Dr. Troy D. Jounigan, of Decatur, Ga., the former superintendent of Baldwin County Schools in Milledgeville, Ga.
- Deborah McKinney of Cincinnati, an adjunct professor at the College of Mt. St. Joseph
- John Robert Phillips, of Orangeburg, S.C., the director of Clinical Practice and Field Experience at Claflin University
- Stephen C. Price, of Middletown, Ohio, the superintendent of Middletown City Schools
- James E. Ray, of Sarasota, Fla., a former strategic planner for Supski Foundation
- Mary A. Ronan, of Cincinnati, the interim superintendent of CPS
- Grant E. Schmidt, of Colorado Springs, Colo., the superintendent of the Falcon School District
- Dr. Mitch Schapiro, of Cincinnati, the director of Clean Coal Technologies
- Arthur Stellar, of Taunton, Maine, the superintendent of Taunton Public Schools
- Theodore L. Thompson, of Columbus, Ohio, the K-12 school leader for Columbus City Schools