Lightning sparks fire at Mason Early Education Center - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Lightning sparks fire at Mason Early Education Center

Posted by Trina Edwards - email

MASON, OH (FOX19) - Firefighters say lightning sparked a fire Sunday afternoon in Mason.

It happened at the Mason Early Education Center. The fire chief says the flames stayed inside a space in the roof, but he still had to call in help from other departments.

"It's a tough fire. They could only work up there for about 15 minutes with their gear and that on breathing air with the real acrid smoke that the fire's putting off," said John Moore, Mason Fire Chief. "So we're rotating them through, getting them down, giving them a break, get them some fluids, then rotating them back up."

There are 1,500 students that preschool, kindergarten and first graders that attend the school. But Mason Schools let out for the summer last Monday, so they'll have some time to fix the damage.

(Copyright 2009 WXIX-TV and Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
 

Powered by Frankly