Attempt to get rid of bed bugs leads to fire - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Attempt to get rid of bed bugs leads to fire

By Meghan Mongillo - bio | email
Posted by Trina Edwards - email

COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - An apartment fire in Colerain Township was sparked Tuesday morning after someone was trying to get rid of bed bugs.

Flames broke out around 3:15 a.m. Tuesday at the Regal Lane Apartments. Flames were visible from a second story window when crews arrived, but they were able to knock down the fire quickly.

Several residents had already evacuated the building, however a significant number of residents remained and needed to be rescued from their apartments. Officers with the Colerain Police Department and Hamilton County Sheriff's Office carried residents from the third floor to safety.

Investigators say the flames spread after a mattress caught on fire on the second floor when someone was spraying for bed bugs with an alcohol-based solution and then lit a cigarette. The residents were able to escape along with their 4-month-old baby.

The apartment of origin sustained heavy damage, however there was minimal smoke damage throughout the remainder of the building.  All residents were able to return to their apartments with the exception of the occupants of the apartment of origin, who are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

Damage is estimated at $20,000. No one was hurt.

Copyright 2009 WXIX-TV and Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

News Headlines

DIG DEEPER: Bed Bugs

Updated:

Bed bugs still a problem around the area REPORT: Cincinnati ranks #1 for bed bugs Bed Bug cases are declining in Cincinnati Family of 6 displaced after bedbug killing chemicals and smoking start fire State More>>

Powered by Frankly