4-year-old Ky. boy burned in fire

By Dan Wells – bio | email

CINCINNATI (FOX19) – A Kentucky family will spend their holidays at Shriners Hospital tending to their four year old son burned when their Christmas tree caught fire.

That fire happened around 11:30 a.m. Friday morning in Mason County.

The four year old boy is listed in critical condition at Shriners and will be there for at least the next 50 days as he recovers.

Aaron Cooper said his son, Landon, was asleep on the couch when the fire started. He had to rush through the flames to save his son.

"I don't wish it on anybody because it's the worst pain the world," Angela Cooper, Landon's mother said.

Over the next few weeks, Landon will receive several skin graft surgeries for his hands and face.

Investigators said they believe that the family's Christmas tree may have caused the fire.

Aaron Cooper was burned on his arm, feet and hair in his attempt to save his son.

"I kicked the door in, (the) flames burnt me so I had to duck get on my hands and knees. So I just felt for his body," Aaron Cooper said.

Emergency officials say CPR that was administered to the boy likely saved his life, but he suffered burns to more than 50 percent of his body.

"He's really funny he likes to make people laugh, his favorite cartoon is 'The Land Before Time,' he loves dinosaurs (and) he just loves making everyone laugh," Angela Cooper said.

The home is a complete loss.

There were no smoke detectors and the Coopers had no insurance.

Landon is scheduled for surgery on Monday and for another later in the week.

(Copyright 2009 WXIX-TV and Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)