UPDATE: Suspect dies in police custody

This Speedway station is where police responded Sunday night to a report of a disorderly suspect.
This Speedway station is where police responded Sunday night to a report of a disorderly suspect.
Douglas Boucher (Source: Mason Police)
Douglas Boucher (Source: Mason Police)

Posted by Trina Edwards - email

MASON, OH (FOX19) - Police are investigating a case in which a man died after being Tasered.

Police say Douglas Boucher, 39, of Mason, walked into the Speedway gas station at 711 Reading Road on Saturday night and began talking to the female attendant in a threatening and profane matter.

On Sunday night around 11:15 p.m., Boucher returned to the gas station and again accosted the attendant. At the time, there were two off-duty Mason police officers at the station, and the attendant asked them to intercede.

"When the officers talked to Mr. Boucher outside, he became combative," said Chief Michael Kelly of Mason Police. "The officers attempted to control him by cuffing his wrists. In the process and with only one cuff on, Mr. Boucher wrestled away from the officer and struck him in the head with the cuffed hand."

The other officer then Tasered Boucher, and he fell hard to the ground.

"The officers quickly determined that Mr. Boucher was not breathing and quickly began CPR and called the ambulance," said Kelly.

Boucher was taken to West Chester Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The officer who was assaulted, Ptl. Daniel Fry, was taken to Bethesda North Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Both Ptl. Fry and the other officer involved, Ptl. Sean McCormick, have been placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in fatality cases.

At this point, there is nothing to suggest that either of the two officers operated outside the limits of our use of force policy or of their training," said Kelly.

Copyright 2009 WXIX-TV and Raycom Media.  All Rights Reserved.  This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.