Fire displaces family in Avondale - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Fire displaces family in Avondale

Posted by Amber Jenkins - email

AVONDALE, OH (FOX19) -- Nine people are being assisted by the Red Cross after a fire in an Avondale apartment Thursday evening.

The incident happened at an apartment building located on Reading Road between Fred Shuttlesworth Drive and Greenwood Avenue.

According to fire crews, a mother was cooking on a stove and left the room. One of the children went in to the kitchen and saw the pan on fire. By the time the mother rushed into the kitchen, the fire had already spread to the cabinets. The mother quickly got everyone out of the apartment and called the Cincinnati Fire Department.

The fire was extinguished, bur there was heavy damage to the home in the amount of $20,000 dollars. A neighboring apartment also had damage from the fire with $ 5,000 dollars.

A total of nine people, two adults and seven children were displaced from both apartments. Red cross is assisting both families.

Luckily No one was injured.

Reading Road was closed for a short time due to fire truck and hoses being in the street.

Copyright 2010 WXIX-TV and Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly