CO detector credited with saving family - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

CO detector credited with saving family

Posted by Trina Edwards - email

WESTWOOD, OH (FOX19) - A carbon monoxide detector is credited for saving the lives of several residents of a Westwood apartment.

Around 1:30 a.m. Friday morning, a loud beeping woke up a the family inside an apartment on Harrison Avenue. It was the difference between life and death.

The alarm alert the family that levels of carbon monoxide were dangerously high. The family called 911, and fire crews responded to the scene.

Investigators say a kerosene heater or hot water heater is to blame.

Carbon monoxide is considered a silent killer because it's colorless, odorless and tasteless. In the cold weather, there is especially a danger for people who run space heaters, or burn gas, oil, coal or wood to stay warm.

If you use any of those things, make sure you have good ventilation, check the way things are installed and be sure to have a working carbon monoxide detector.

This family was not allowed back inside their home for a while. A 1.5 year old child was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but is expected to be OK.

Copyright 2010 WXIX-TV and Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly