COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio State University has agreed to pay $1.2 million to a woman whose husband drank from a medical center water faucet, contracted Legionnaires' disease and died.
Sharron Morris had sued the university, saying that nurses and other staff at OSU Medical Center knew water on the ninth floor could contain the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' but did not instruct patients to not drink the water.
Her husband, 66-year-old David Morris of Lima (LY'-muh), Ohio, was having an outpatient procedure when he drank the water to wash down medication.
David Crawford, a spokesman for the medical center, said the settlement is fair and compensates the family for their loss.
He said the hospital has safeguards in place and the risk of contracting Legionnaires' disease is extremely low.