Woman rescues choking mother - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Woman rescues choking mother

By Tiffany Teasley – bio | email

LIBERTY TWP., OH (FOX19) - When Amber Whitehouse left her house last week, it was just an average day out with her young son.

"Fate had us traveling down the same road that day and I'm glad I made that extra stop and I'm just so happy I was able to help her," Whitehouse said.

Her Tuesday afternoon quickly took a turn she never saw coming.

"Amanda's car caught my attention, something about the way she was driving caught my attention," Whitehouse said.

We introduced you to Amanda Mountel last week, in search of the woman who came to her rescue when she began choking on a french fry while driving her young son on Rt. 747.

"This woman had pulled up beside me and asked me am I choking and I'm shaking my head yes," Mountel said.

Turns out that woman was Amber.

"I threw the car into park and I screamed to her, come here, come here -- at that moment, I said to myself, 'Oh my god this woman's choking, she's going to choke to death,'" Whitehouse said.

But, Amber immediately started giving Amanda the Heimlich maneuver; she'd learned the technique some 12 years ago in first aid class.

"I barely remember doing it, I remember doing some compressions, I was screaming around me because I was so afraid if I couldn't help her," Whitehouse said.

But Amber's help saved Amanda's life; in the busy traffic the women barely got to say goodbye, but, Amber later saw the story in the news and contacted Amanda through email.

"We've become friends on Facebook so now I can go on and look at her pictures and she can look at mine," Whitehouse said.

Now, they're planning to meet in person, a reunion much anticipated by both mothers.

"It could have been me in that car and I'm just so happy I could help another mommy," Whitehouse said.

Copyright 2010 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.

US Gulf Coast braces for impact as Alberto approaches

Saturday, May 26 2018 11:23 PM EDT2018-05-27 03:23:47 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 3:44 PM EDT2018-05-27 19:44:42 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis). Tommy Whitlock, left, places a filled sand bag onto his trailer at a Harrison County Road Department sand bag location, as his friend Joseph Buckner adjusts the load while preparing for Subtropical Storm Alberto to make its...(AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis). Tommy Whitlock, left, places a filled sand bag onto his trailer at a Harrison County Road Department sand bag location, as his friend Joseph Buckner adjusts the load while preparing for Subtropical Storm Alberto to make its...

The governors of Florida, Alabama and Mississippi all declared states of emergency ahead of the storm.

Giuliani advises no Mueller interview without informant info

Sunday, May 27 2018 11:05 AM EDT2018-05-27 15:05:32 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 3:44 PM EDT2018-05-27 19:44:34 GMT
    President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani says the president wants details on the classified information shared with lawmakers about the FBI investigation into Russian election meddling before deciding on an interview (Source:CNN)President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani says the president wants details on the classified information shared with lawmakers about the FBI investigation into Russian election meddling before deciding on an interview (Source:CNN)

President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani says the president wants details on the classified information shared with lawmakers about the FBI investigation into Russian election meddling before deciding on an interview with the special counsel.

Forgotten WWII battle raged 75 years ago on Alaska island

Sunday, May 27 2018 11:34 AM EDT2018-05-27 15:34:09 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 3:38 PM EDT2018-05-27 19:38:28 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mark Thiessen). In this May 19, 2018, photo World War II veterans Allan Seroll, left, of Massachusetts, and William Roy Dover, right, of Alabama, right, attend a 75th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Attu in Anchorage, Alaska. Dover w...(AP Photo/Mark Thiessen). In this May 19, 2018, photo World War II veterans Allan Seroll, left, of Massachusetts, and William Roy Dover, right, of Alabama, right, attend a 75th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Attu in Anchorage, Alaska. Dover w...

One of the bloodiest World War II battles in the Pacific was waged 75 years ago this month on Attu Island in Alaska's Aleutian Islands.