Last day for Concourse A at CVG - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Last day for Concourse A at CVG

By Meghan Mongillo – bio | email
Posted by Trina Edwards - email

HEBRON, KY (FOX19) - Friday is the last day Delta will be in Concourse A at the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky International Airport.

Delta officials made the announcement in March that the airline carrier would be leaving the concourse effective May 1, saying it will save the company $20 million a year.

However, the move could potentially cost 840 jobs from Regional Elite Airline, a subsidiary of the Delta-Northwest merger. Ten percent of flights will also be cut.

"But with every season we see them, summer, fall, winter, flights reduced, 10 to 15 here and there," said Jay Ratliff, WLW aviation expert. "Next thing you know, 170 flights a day from Delta, and I expect that number to go down."

Travelers will have the convenience of going to just one concourse to board or switch planes, but there will be no convenience when it comes to getting to your destination. Some frequent business travelers say it's already been a major headache.

"I flew to Canada (and it) took me till 3 a.m. because I could only get a late flight out," said Dennis Pawlak, a frequent flyer.

The eight restaurants and five shops that employ 120 workers in Concourse A will also close. CVG officials say some of those workers will be reassigned to other businesses in the main concourse.

Ratliff says this opens the door for a low cost carrier to move in, like Air Tran or Frontier, that had been at the airport but shut down because no one supported them.

"I suspect we'll see those two airlines come back to CVG to give another try wouldn't be out of the question," said Ratliff.

CVG's CEO, John Mok, says he's hopeful.

"We see the opportunity in the market for a low cost carrier to come in and serve and met demand in the market," he said.

Copyright 2010 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly