MIDDLETOWN, OH (FOX19) - Police are investigating a gas leak this afternoon after they found a candle burning inside a home while investigating a gas leak.
Residents were allowed to return home around 10a.m. this morning after a gas leak evacuated the 2200 block of Queen Avenue in Middletown.
Middletown fire chief Steven Botts says the call came in around 8:15 AM Friday morning from someone who said they smelled gas in the area.
Officials narrowed the search down to a single family 3 story home in the 2200 block of Queen Avenue. No one was home at the time so fire fighters vented the home and called the power company to turn the gas off.
Inside the home police found a candle burning and several other items that looked suspicious. Police are now searching for the homeowner.
The evacuation was just a precaution until the levels of gas were safe inside the home. The fire chief said while this case ended safely a natural gas explosion can be very devastating.
Busses were brought in to keep the families cool and the residents were able to return to their homes around 9:45 AM.
A neighbor told FOX19 that last year there was a fire at the residence.
Officials don't know what caused the leak but Chief Botts says the investigation is ongoing.
This is the second gas leak in three days in Middletown. On Wednesday a plumber hit a gas line forcing the evacuation of about 20 homes.