HANOVER TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - Six animals have died in a barn fire in Hanover Township.
Three horses, two ponies and a goat all died after the fire broke out in the 2400 block of Stahlheber Road just after 8 a.m.
"I saw the barn was on fire, and by the time I turned around back there, and it was just so much flames and smoke," said Bob Boomersine, who was painting the hose next door when the fire started.
He ran and tried to let the homeowners know, but by the time he got back to the barn it was too late.
"It was just too much smoke and flames coming out to try and go let the horses out," Boomershine said.
Hanover Twp. Fire Department responded to the scene as well as crews from Milford and Riley Townships, but by the time they arrived the blaze was full force reaching as high as 20 ft.
"The roof pretty much collapsed, you're not able to go in, so it was an offensive from the outside," said Capt. Andy Wyatt of the Hanover Twp. Fire Department.
The owners of the horses were too upset to go on camera but say they've cared for some of these horses for close to 15 years, showing them across the Tri-state. Denny Rydyznski is a friend of the family; his daughter trained with one of the horse who died and says the loss is hard to stomach for everyone.
"We just really feel sad for them," Rydyznski said.
Friends of the horse owners say they were known in the community for letting other experience the joys of horse back riding.
"Obviously they're very upset, and I would say 20+ years, they've been involved in the horse community and helped so many folks with their horses, they've been so generous," Rydyznski said.
No people were injured.The State Fire Marshal ruled the fire as undetermined, but are not ruling out an electrical malfunction. Damage is estimated at $50,000.
Have photos of the fire? Send them to email@example.com.