Suspect under arrest in Lincoln Heights standoff

Deondrea Andrews (Source: Hamilton County Sheriff's Office)
Deondrea Andrews (Source: Hamilton County Sheriff's Office)
Kandace Powell (Source: Hamilton County Sheriff's Office)
Kandace Powell (Source: Hamilton County Sheriff's Office)

By Stefano DiPietrantonio – bio |email|Facebook

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - A standoff with a man who police say fired shots with them ended peacefully Thursday with the man's arrest.

The standoff locked down part of Lincoln Heights for much of the day Thursday. It all unfolded in the area of Leggett and Simmons Streets, in a well populated neighborhood.

Police used tear gas to get Deondrea Andrews, 28, to surrender peacefully.

"Maybe 30 of these were deployed," said Lincoln Heights Police Chief Ron Twitty, of the tear gas canisters they fired into the home. "Probably ten of them should have got him out of there but it didn't."

So they fired-in an even stronger gas.

"We stepped-it-up a notch with the CS type," Twitty said.

About five more of the bigger cans of tear gas did the trick and Andrews was diving out a window.

"But we had four squads of SWAT surrounding the area with snipers in-place, canine in-place," Twitty said. "There was really no place for him to go."

The situation started out as a traffic stop over suspected drug activity at the Baymont Inn in Sharonville.

Police there tried to pull Andrews over just before noon, but he sped away with 21-year-old Kandace Powell of Woodlawn in the car. But once they got to Lincoln Heights, police said Andrews jumped out and started running.

"The suspect fired approximately 5 shots at the Sharonville officer," Twitty said.

With plenty of people out and about in the neighborhood, everyone was in harm's way. And despite the flood of police, Jada Harper said she was not worried.

"No way do I feel threatened for my life or for my children," Harper said.

"The Sharonville officer demonstrated tremendous restraint in my opinion by not returning fire and keeping the suspect in sight," Twitty said.

"Mr. Andrews fired multiple shots," Lincoln Heights Village Manager Robert Bannister said. "The officer was not struck, no officer or anyone was struck."

Powell was arrested on the spot and charged with obstructing justice. Andrews ran into a home on Simmons Street, a place police said he lives from time to time and refused to come out.

"There were kids in the house," Twitty said. "There were other residents in the house who had nothing to do with the offense, so we had to be assured they were brought to safety before we even attempted negotiations."

The Hamilton County SWAT Team surrounded the house and within minutes of the second gas attack, it was all over.

"And this was the granddaddy of them all," Twitty said waving a large can of tear gas. "When this came in, he had to come out but he didn't surrender he dove out the window and probably intended to try to flee."

Police now have a search warrant and still have to comb through the house on Simmons for evidence. Investigators will finish collecting evidence, soon as they can get all the gas cleared out.

Lincoln Heights is charging Andrews with attempted murder, felonious assault, inducing panic and obstructing official business.

In Sharonville, police are charging him with fleeing and eluding, driving under suspension, along with several open warrants he had already had.

Sharonville, Wyoming, Lockland, Woodlawn, Evendale and Lincoln Heights Police Departments all had officers on the scene for several hours, along with 25 officers from the Hamilton County SWAT Team.

Copyright 2010 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.