Posted by Trina Edwards - email
JACKSON TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - Six people have been displaced after an apartment fire in Marathon in Clermont County.
It happened late Thursday night in the 3700 block of Fomorin Avenue, in an historic building that used to be a train depot. The building was owned by Jeff Warren. He and his two teenage children lived downstairs.
Marie Paddock rented the upstairs. For the past year she and her three young children lived there.
Marie says the fire started in her son's bedroom. "We barely got out, 10 more seconds and we would've been stuck in there," Paddock says.
"My son came into the bathroom and said there is a fire. I ran into their room and a stuffed animal had been thrown, knocked a candle over onto the mattress and the fire went from there," she adds.
The American Red Cross is helping the families with temporary shelter. Friday Paddock and Warren both came back to see what is left of their homes.
She cries outside as she looks at the destroyed structure, thinking about how her family will rebuild.
"No clothes, no baby bed, high chair. I just went back to school shopping and got them lunch boxes with matching cups, new shoes. It is all gone. It all got burned. We have to budget to do that, I just don't know. We'll figure it out, something will work out."
The building is a complete loss. After 6 a.m. firefighters say hotspot ignited the fire again.