Lightning sparks gas leak, fire

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - Lightning is believed to be the cause of a gas leak and fire in Hamilton Township.

It happened Wednesday in the 800 block of Bay Harbor Drive in the Sunrise Landing Subdivision.

Investigators say the leak started when lightning struck a tree. The jolt traveled down the line and started the fire. The gas fire started a small brush fire but firefighters were able to get the fire out before it spread.

The gas line only served one home and the gas line has been shut off. The house where it happened will have more work done on the line tomorrow.

An electric crew has turned off the power in the area to prevent future problems from the gas leak, says Sally Thelen of Duke Energy.

All of the neighbors are back in their homes

Copyright 2010 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.