8-year-old girl dies in electrical fire - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

8-year-old girl dies in electrical fire

JACKSON TOWNSHIP, OH (FOX19) - An 8-year-old girl is dead and her grandmother is in critical condition after a fire in Clermont County.

Flames broke out in a home in the 3000 block of U.S. 50 near Locust Street late Thursday night.

Upon arrival, fire crews made contact with Stella Ward, 68, who had escaped the fire by climbing out of a second story window. She advised that her granddaughter was still inside.

Fire crews entered the residence and found Cheyenne Ward, 8, in a bedroom on the second floor. She was taken to Clermont Northeastern School to meet an AirCare helicopter, but she was pronounced dead by an AirCare physician before she got to the hospital.

The Clermont County Sheriff's Office says Stella Ward was air lifted to University Hospital and is in critical condition suffering from smoke inhalation and burns. The state fire marshal says another woman was also taken to the hospital, but treated and released. That person's name has not been released.

The state fire marshal says the fire originated in the exterior rear wall near the electric panel. The cause has been ruled as an electrical malfunction. Smoke detectors were present, but did not function.

Cheyenne Ward was going to be a 3rd grader at Clermont Northeastern Elementary. Grief counselors will be at the school when classes start Tuesday.

 Copyright 2010 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.

 

                                                         

Powered by Frankly