INDEPENDENCE, KY (FOX19) – Twenty-two families are without a home after a massive fire ripped through a building at the fairways park apartments. Fire investigators believe the fire started on the balcony of a second floor unit, and a lit cigarette may be the cause.
No one was seriously injured and many are thankful to be alive today.
"We were able to save some photos, important papers," said Laura Frame. "We're ok, that's all that matters."
Frame, her husband Patrick and teenage son Kyle lived in the unit where the fire began.
Today after sifting through it, there isn't much left to take out the destroyed apartment.
"Everything else can be replaced," said Patrick Frame. "We just might have to find a place for a couple of months while we rebuild."
Good news for the Frames, the Red Cross and the family's insurance will provide them money to relocate and get back on their feet.
Today, their son Kyle helped grab what they could from the apartment. Kyle missed school, but says he wants to get to football practice to let out some aggression. All his clothes have smoke damage, and many of his things are gone, except something very important to him.
"My grandfather's flag," said Kyle Frame. "He served in Korea and I thought that was gone, but when I went in there today and that was fine...I was very happy to see that."
The Red Cross provided all the families with credit cards so they could buy essentials like food, cloths, and hygiene items.
On Thursday the units will again be open for people to collect what they can from 9:00am to 2:00pm.
After that, the building will be boarded up.