Daycare owner charged with scalding toddler

PLAINFIELD, IN  (FOX19)- Details are beginning to paint a picture of how an Indianapolis area toddler was burned while in what should have been the safe environment of a home daycare.

A two-year-old boy named Corbin is in the hospital with second degree burns all over his lower body, and the woman whose care he was in, Irene Martin, faces charges of felony neglect and battery.  Police say she was punishing the boy for getting urine on himself while trying to use the toilet, by taking him to the garage, and placing him in boiling hot water in a sink, causing injuries to his back, buttocks, and genitals.

Police say she waited an hour, then called 9-1-1.  "He fell on into hot water on his , and his butt started peeling when I took his pants off", Martin told a dispatcher. "I didn't think it was that bad cause it didn't look that bad when I took off his pants and I went and got him some Ibuprofen and I called his mom and his was like super bright red now."

Martin first told police the child fell into the tub she filled with lukewarm water, but later admitted she lied. Authorities say the child also had a small cut and bruise under his left eye, a bruise on his upper lip and a bruise on his upper back. his severe burns will require surgery.

Martin had no comment as she left the courthouse. Martin's attorney Annie Fierek said the picture that has been painted of Martin is not complete. "Don't jump to conclusions. "She was a great caretaker and we ask that everyone wait on this case. The story that's really going to be told is the one in the court room."

Martin's trial date is set for next January. If convicted on all counts, she faces a minimum of 12-and-a-half years in prison.

Copyright 2010 FOX19.  All Rights Reserved.