The defending Ohio Division II state champion Winton Woods Warriors (9-1), who have 35 players remaining from that team, hosted the Carroll Patriots (7-3) in the first round of the playoffs at Charlie Fredrick Stadium.

Winton Woods's senior defensive back Corey Webber recovered a Carroll fumble on the Patriots' 20-yard line that set up a short field for the Warriors. Five plays later, Warriors' place kicker Robbie Lewis booted a 23-yard field goal to put Winton Woods ahead by a score of 3-0.

The Patriots snapped back with a 92-yard scoring drive to take a 7-3 lead. Carroll's Alex Wolodkiewicz sprinted 38 yards into the end zone to end the nine-play drive.

Winton Woods's running back Aaron Kemper broke off a 37-yard run that helped setup another Warrior touchdown. Quarterback Thomas Owens pitched the ball to Marquis Graves who went around the left side for a 14 yard touchdown play, regaining the lead by a score of 10-7.

--Postgame: Thomas Owens, Winton Woods
--Postgame: Andre Parker, Winton Woods

On Carroll's next drive disaster happened again. Patriots quarterback Thomas Milford threw a pass over the middle that was deflected by Warriors defender Chuck Wynn and the ball landed into the hands of his teammate Weber who accounted for both first half turnovers.

Two plays later Owens threw a 30-yard scoring pass to Gary Underwood and Winton Woods expanded its lead to 17-7.

Carroll wasn't about to give up as the Patriots scored on the ensuing possession. Quentin Steverson capped a 10-play, 80-yard drive with a nine-yard touchdown run that cut the Winton Woods lead to 17-14.

Winton Woods got the ball back with 4:51 remaining in the half and proceeded to march down the field. The drive stalled on the 23-yard line as Lewis set-up for a 40-yard field attempt. Carroll head coach Steve Bartlett used two timeouts in an attempt to freeze the sophomore kicker. The strategy didn't work as Lewis's kick was good and the Warriors brought a 20-14 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Both teams kept themselves in the game in the first half by virtue of the other team's mistakes. Winton Woods committed eight first half penalties and Carroll turned the ball over twice.

In the third quarter, Owens took a quarterback draw up the middle and simply ran away from the Patriot defense, sprinting 81 yards for a touchdown that increased the Warrior lead to 27-14.

Carroll still had plenty of fight remaining. However, the ground attack that the Patriots had success with most of the game was consuming large portions of the clock. Wolodkiewicz, who rushed for 114 yards on 21 attempts, scored on a seven yard run at the end of a 16-play drive that lasted 7:25, cutting the score to 27-21.

But the fourth quarter belonged to Winton Woods. Kemper, who rushed for 155 yards and Owens for 214 yards, each scored on one-yard scoring plays pushed the final score to 40-21.

The Warriors (10-1) will play Trotwood-Madison, who defeated Harrison 39-15, next week at a site to be determined.

Written by: Brady Laber,