My Favorite Stuffing
Chef Jean-Robert de Cavel
Prep Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 stalks celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
8 ounces reduced fat pork breakfast sausage
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 apple, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh sage leaves
2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
2 teaspoons celery powder
1 pan (13x9-inch) prepared unsweetened cornbread, crumbled
2 tablespoons milk
3 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural Goodness™ or Certified Organic)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 350°F.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring often. Remove the vegetable mixture from the saucepot.
3. Heat the remaining butter in the saucepot. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the saucepot.
4. Cook the sausage in the saucepot over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
5. Stir the sausage, vegetable mixture, mushrooms, pecans, apple, sage, herbes de Provence, dried onion, celery powder and cornbread in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and milk in a small bowl. Add the egg mixture and broth to the sausage mixture and mix lightly. Season with the salt and black pepper. Spoon the stuffing mixture into a lightly greased casserole.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until the stuffing is hot.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the cornbread 2 days ahead so that it can dry out a bit before making the stuffing.