Indiana considering plastic bag tax - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Indiana considering plastic bag tax

INDIANAPOLIS (WFIE) - A bill has been proposed that would have consumers paying .10 a bag for grocery bags.

If passed, the bill, introduced by northern Indiana State Representative Shelly VanDenburgh, would act as a type of tax.

According to the bill, 25 percent of the funds collected would go to the Indiana economic development corporation for the green industries fund, the other 75% would go to schools.

If passed, retailers would be required to have reusable bags for sale.

Some cities in California, along with places like China and Italy, have banned or heavily taxed single-use plastic bags.

Copyright 2011 WFIE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly