Fire damages elementary school

ANDERSON TOWNSHIP, HAMILTON COUNTY, OH (FOX19) - Students and staff may be greeted by the smell of smoke when they return to Mercer Elementary School Monday.

One of the classrooms in the school on Bartels Road was damaged by fire on Saturday night.

An alarm system alerted Anderson Township firefighters before the fire got too large.  They were able to limit the fire to the classroom where it started , but they say there is an odor of smoke through one wing of the school.  The fire started in a corner of the classroom and may be electrical, although that is still under investigation. There is no damage estimate, but smoke and soot cleanup may be the most difficult aspect of the cleanup.

As of late Sunday morning, FOX19 was trying to reach the school to find out if there will be any effects on the operation of the school Monday.