CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - An Ohio convicted serial killer sitting on death row wants a new trial. Lawyers for Anthony Kirkland filed court documents on Feb. 25 saying Kirkland was prejudiced by ineffective lawyers during the trial and sentencing phases.
His new lawyers claim the old ones should have asked for a change of venue because of the media attention of the trial. Kirkland got the death penalty for the murders of Casonya Crawford and Esme Kenney. He also pleaded guilty to the murders of Kimya Rollison and Mary Jo Newton.
Kirkland was accused of grabbing Kenney while she was out jogging. She was strangled and her body was burned. Kirkland was found sleeping in the woods 100 yards from where she was found. He had her watch and iPod in his pocket.
Kirkland is a registered sex offender and convicted killer. He was paroled in 2003 after pleading guilty to manslaughter in 1987.
Kirkland did not testify in his trial, but he did read an unsworn statement saying that he gets angry and can't control himself, and he should never get out of prison.
Kirkland is currently being held at the Mansfield Correction Institute on death row.
The Hamilton County Prosecutor's Office has until June 15 to respond to the motion.
- Sculpture dedicated to Esme Kenney
Kirkland moved to state prison
- Judge sentences Kirkland to death
- Jury deliberates in Kirkland trial
- New halfway house study released
- Jury recommends death penalty in Kirkland trial
- Jurors hear closing arguments in death penalty phase of Kirkland trial
- Kirkland asks jury: "Please spare my life"
- Jurors hear more of police interviews with Kirkland
- Jurors to hear Kirkland's taped confession
- Jurors hear final Kirkland confession
- Victim's mother testifies in Anthony Kirkland trial
- Jurors hear more testimony in Kirkland trial
- Kirkland pleads in two cases; witness takes stand in others
- Jury seated in Kirkland trial
- Kirkland trial: Final day of jury selection
- Jury selection begins in Kirkland trial
- Quaker service planned to support murder victim Esme Kenney's parents
- Standing room only for Esme Kenney benefit Concert
- Benefit concert at Northside Tavern for Esme Kenney memorial sculpture
- Benefit concert held for murdered teen
- Kirkland to wear stun belt during trial
- Kirkland trial pushed back
- Police training inspired by murdered teen
- Hamilton Prosecutor Focuses on Parole Board
- Kirkland pleads not guilty, again
- Kirkland faces another murder charge
- Kirkland found competent to stand trial
- Rally protests Pogue Center
- Protest against Pogue Center planned
- Trial date set for Ohio man in teen's slaying
- UPDATE: State releases report on the Pogue Center
- Murder suspect accused of another murder in Kenton Co. jail
- Kirkland arraigned on murder charges, collapses in court
- Kirkland indicted in 3 deaths
- Family of Esme Kenney talks about murder investigation
- Why was Anthony Kirkland granted parole?
- Police: Anthony Kirkland suspect in several murders
- Was Anthony Kirkland responsible for other crimes? Girl's grandma thinks so
- City council asks Gov. to close halfway house
- Memorial service honors slain teen
- Family, friends remember slain teen
- UPDATE: Kirkland confesses to teen's murder