More than fifty singers auditioned, but ten hopefuls were selected as semi-finalists to move on in the Cincinnati Opera's Opera Idol.
Auditions for the competition were held on May 7, and was the first time that residents from throughout Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana were eligible to compete.
The semi-finalists that were chosen are:
• Chelsea Fries, a soprano from Cold Spring, Kentucky
• Leah Gordon, a mezzo-soprano from Cincinnati, Ohio
• Samuel Hall, a tenor from Grove City, Ohio
• Walker Jermaine Jackson, a tenor from Bloomington, Indiana
• Shawn Mlynek, a tenor from Cincinnati, Ohio
• Heather Morrey, a soprano from Cincinnati, Ohio
• Catherine Scott, a mezzo-soprano from Cincinnati, Ohio
• Bill Shuler, a baritone from Loveland, Ohio
• Heather Spence, a soprano from Powell, Ohio
• Olivia Yokers, a soprano from Hamilton, Ohio
Over the next month the semi-finalists will work individually with a Cincinnati Opera professional. The will be coached on singing, presentation and song selection.
On Tuesday, July 5, the singers will perform in concert at the Aronoff Center's Jarson-Kaplan Theater at 7:00pm. Five finalists will be chosen by the audience.
Videos of the five finalists will be posted online and the public will vote for their favorite. The winner of the competition will receive a $3,500 contract with the Cincinnati Opera, which may include public appearances and performances.
This is the third year for Opera Idol.
Ticket information about the concert will be available beginning on June 1.