CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - According to a survey conducted by the United States Postal Service, Cincinnati is one of the Top 25 cities in the country when it comes to dog attacks to letter carriers.
Cincinnati ranks 14th in these kind of attacks, with the Postal Service saying 24 employees were victimized last year.
Nationwide, the Postal Service says 5,669 postal employees were attacked in more than 1,400 cities in the last year. These incidents have reportedly cost the USPS nearly $1.2 million.
The study was conducted as part of National Dog Bite Prevention Week, which happens May 15-21.
Columbus, OH was tied for #2 with San Diego, and Cleveland was tied for #6 with Phoenix, AZ.
The Postal Service has these tips to avoid being bitten by a dog:
- Don't run past a dog. The dog's natural instinct is to chase and catch you.
- If a dog threatens you, don't scream. Avoid eye contact. Try to remain motionless until the dog leaves, then back away slowly until the dog is out of sight.
- Don't approach a strange dog, especially one that's tethered or confined.
- People choosing to pet dogs should obtain permission from the owner first and always let a dog see and sniff them before petting the animal.
- If you believe a dog is about to attack you, try to place something between yourself and the dog, such as a backpack or a bicycle.
And if you own a dog, the Postal Service has these tips to keep your dog obedient:
- Obedience training can teach dogs proper behavior and help owners control their dogs.
- When a carrier comes to your home, keep your dog inside, away from the door in another room.
- Dogs can be protective of their territory and may interpret the actions of letter carriers as a threat. Please take precautions when accepting mail in the presence of your pet.
- Spay or neuter your dog. Neutered dogs are less likely to roam and bite.
- Dogs that receive little attention or handling, or are left tied up for long periods of time, frequently turn into biters.
The complete list of cities where postal workers are most often attacked by dogs can be found here.