Amended Ky. law allows for fireworks that shoot in air

FRANKFORT, KY (FOX19) - Even though Kentucky law now allows for the purchase of fireworks that shoot in the air, officials with the Division of Fire Prevention are reminding Kentuckians that safety and supervision remain the keys to a successful celebration.

State law now allows for the purchase of fireworks that are known as '1.4 Consumer Fireworks, including Roman candles, firecrackers and bottle rockets.

People under 18 cannot sell or purchase fireworks; fireworks cannot be used within 200 feet of a structure, vehicle or other person; and fireworks cannot be sold to anyone who is under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

The new law also sets permitting requirements for the sale of fireworks in the state. There are three types of registrations available: limited sales line of consumer fireworks (what was legal last year), seasonal retailers and permanent business establishments. These vendors are required to report to the Division of Fire Prevention the address where the sales will take place, where the fireworks will be stored and a description of how the fireworks will be stored. Seasonal retailers can only sell fireworks from June 10-July 7 and Dec. 26-Jan. 4.

Local vendors and citizens are required to comply with any and all local ordinances that apply to the sale, purchase and use of fireworks.

The Division of Fire Prevention offers the following safety tips to keep your family safe over the upcoming Fourth of July holiday and throughout the summer:

  • Use fireworks outdoors only.
  • Obey local laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them.
  • Always have a bucket of water or a working water hose nearby.
  • Only use fireworks as intended. Don't try to alter them or combine them.
  • Never relight a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
  • Use common sense. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter and the shooter should wear safety glasses.
  • Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated adult shooter."
  • Do not use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives: They can kill you!
  • Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department in your community.

Copyright 2011 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.