This Hour: Latest Ohio news, sports, business and entertainment - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

This Hour: Latest Ohio news, sports, business and entertainment

Posted: Updated:

WAL-MART SHOOTING

Officer involved in Wal-Mart shooting back on job

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) - A city official says one of two police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man at an Ohio Wal-Mart is back on the job.

Beavercreek city attorney Stephen McHugh tells the Dayton Daily News that Sgt. David Darkow has returned to work following the shooting earlier this month in suburban Dayton. He says the other officer remains on administrative leave.

Neither McHugh nor the Ohio attorney general has said which officer fired the shot that killed 21-year-old John Crawford in the Beavercreek store Aug. 5. Police say Crawford twice ignored commands to put down an air rifle he was holding.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said this week that a special county grand jury will convene Sept. 3 to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.

SCHOOL OUTBURST-JAIL SENTENCE

Ohio woman sent to prison for school outburst

AKRON, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio woman has been sentenced to more than a year in prison for assaulting a teacher, principal and cafeteria worker at her son's elementary school after being told she needed a visitor's badge.

A Summit County judge sentenced 25-year-old Jessica Smallwood, of Akron, to 14 months this week after she pleaded guilty to three counts of assault that were elevated to felonies because they involved educators.

The Akron Beacon Journal reports that Smallwood went to the Glover Elementary School cafeteria on Feb. 21 to have breakfast with her 7-year-old son.

Prosecutors say she pushed the teacher, knocked the principal to the ground and punched a cafeteria worker.

Smallwood's attorney said she was upset and surprised at the sentence and will seek early release.

ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE-DIOCESE

Ohio diocese discourages ALS ice bucket challenge

CINCINNATI (AP) - A Catholic diocese in Ohio is discouraging its schools from participating in the ice bucket challenge to benefit the ALS Association, citing its funding of research involving embryonic stem cells.

In a letter sent Tuesday to its 113 schools, the Archdiocese of Cincinnati's superintendent of Catholic schools says the research being funded is "in direct conflict with Catholic teaching."

The superintendent told the schools that students and staff can still do the ice bucket challenge, but any funds raised should be given to organizations that combat ALS without embryonic stem cell research.

An ALS Association spokeswoman says the group funds one study involving embryonic stem cells, but donors can stipulate that their funds go elsewhere.

ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that causes paralysis and almost certain death.

OHIO STATE-BAND DIRECTOR

Ohio State president, band leaders to meet

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - University and marching band leaders at Ohio State are preparing to meet to discuss the future path of the organization after the firing of its director.

A spokesman says president Michael Drake is scheduled to meet Thursday with interim directors and some of the band's 33 student squad leaders.

Spokesman Gary Lewis says Drake has no plans to revisit the July 24 firing of director Jonathan Waters. However, the high-profile dismissal is anticipated to come up during the gathering.

Waters was fired after a two-month university investigation concluded he knew about but didn't stop a "sexualized" band culture of rituals that included partially-clad marching, groping games and sometimes explicit nicknames.

The university board rejected Waters' request for reinstatement, which was supported by leaders of the band alumni association.

OHIO TURNPIKE-NAMING RIGHTS

State won't sell naming rights for Ohio Turnpike

CLEVELAND (AP) - Ohio will pursue opportunities to collect revenue through sponsorships along the state turnpike but will not sell naming rights for the 241-mile toll road.

The Plain Dealer in Cleveland reports that a turnpike spokesman said people would view selling naming rights for the turnpike like sports teams do for their arenas and stadiums as something negative. But the state is willing to sell sponsorships and advertising that could be displayed on turnpike road signs, trucker lounges and snow plows.

Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) wants to use the turnpike as a revenue source that would help fund the state's transportation budget. The turnpike had a $13.6 million budget surplus at the end of 2013 but faces higher costs for materials, labor and other expenses.

SLOW-SPEED POLICE CHASE

2 indicted in Ohio businessman's fatal shooting

CINCINNATI (AP) - Two men accused in an Ohio businessman's fatal shooting have been indicted on charges including aggravated murder.

Hamilton County's prosecutor says 44-year Christopher McFerron and 33-year-old Jason Brown also were indicted Wednesday on charges of murder, aggravated robbery and kidnapping in the slaying of 72-year-old James Rolman of Lockland.

Police say McFerron was arrested after leading them on a slow-speed chase while holding a gun to his own head. He also was charged with failure to comply.

Court records don't list attorneys for the Cincinnati men.

Authorities say Rolman was last seen after withdrawing cash from his bank north of Cincinnati on July 25. The prosecutor says video shows McFerron getting into Rolman's car. Rolman's body was found in his car July 26. He had been shot in the head.

COUPLE STABBED-SON

Ohio man pleads not guilty in stabbing of parents

WESTLAKE, Ohio (AP) - A 22-year-old man has pleaded not guilty to charges that accuse him of stabbing his parents at their northern Ohio home earlier this week.

Robert Jaworski appeared in court Wednesday and was being held in jail in Westlake, west of Cleveland, with a $225,000 bond. Jail records didn't contain attorney information.

He has another court appearance set for Tuesday.

Westlake police say they are still looking for the knife they say Jaworski used to stab his father, 58-year-old Kim Jaworski, and 56-year-old mother, Carol Jaworski, on Monday.

Kim Jaworski is listed in critical condition at a Cleveland hospital, and his wife is in stable condition.

Police say authorities learned about the stabbings after a hang-up 911 call Monday night and a subsequent callback by a dispatcher.

SCHOOL THREAT-ARREST

Ohio high school student accused of online threats

CHAGRIN FALLS, Ohio (AP) - A northeast Ohio high school student has been arrested after police say he threatened classmates in a Facebook post hours before school was to open for the year.

The 17-year-old Chagrin Falls High School student was arrested early Tuesday and charged with inducing panic.

The Northeast Ohio Media Group reports that the Facebook posting included a photo of the teen carrying three toy guns. Police did not release the details of the written threat.

The incident did not disrupt the opening of the school, but Superintendent Robert Hunt said officials alerted parents about the incident.

Parents and school officials spotted the Facebook post on Monday night and notified police. The teen was arrested at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.

ILLEGAL GAMBLING-OHIO

Illegal gambling still rampant in Ohio

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Two more racinos opening this fall will add to the many legal gambling options available in Ohio - but officials say illegal gambling still is a big problem.

State investigators increasingly are finding illegal gambling hot spots, many of which are masquerading as "skill games" parlors. Matt Schuler, executive director of the Ohio Casino Control Commission, says the agency has been working with federal and local law enforcement to find and shut down the operations.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that last week state investigators busted House of Skills, a game parlor in Mahoning County. They seized 54 machines after receiving complaints that the business was giving cash payments to winners, a violation of Ohio law except in casinos and racinos.

The state has four legal casinos and five racinos.

CINCINNATI SINKHOLE

Cincinnati repairs sinkhole that trapped bus

CINCINNATI (AP) - Authorities say a sinkhole that opened beneath a Metro bus in Cincinnati has been repaired.

The Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati said Thursday that it has completed repairs on a nearly 100-year-old sewer line that collapsed under a city street on June 19.

The rear of the bus was trapped when buckled pavement gave way into a sinkhole at least 15 feet deep and about 15 feet wide. The driver wasn't injured and wasn't carrying passengers. Tow trucks had to pull out the bus from the area where the sewer line collapsed.

Officials say the collapsed section of pipe was replaced and the pavement over it has been restored.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow