- 1 in every 8 boxes of all cereal sold in the U.S. are Cheerios -More than 10 shapes and sizes were considered before the current "o".
- It would take approximately 3,155,524,416 Cheerios to circle the earth
- General Mills sold 1.8 million cases (each containing 12 boxes) in the first year, 1941.
- Cheerios are made with same "puffing gun" technology used to create Kix cereal in 1937. Balls dough are heated and shot out of a gun at hundreds of miles an hour to make the "o."
- Four years after their debut, Cheerioats were renamed Cheerios.
- In 1979, Honey Nut Cheerios were introduced, followed by Apple Cinnamon Cheerios in 1988, MultiGrain Cheerios in 1992, Frosted Cheerios in 1995, Berry Burst Cheerios in 2001 and Chocolate Cheerios in 2010.
- Honey Nut Cheerios have outsold the originals since 2009.
Source: General Mills and Cheerios.com
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)