Two-alarm fire tears through Avondale apartment - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Two-alarm fire tears through Avondale apartment

AVONDALE, OH (FOX19) -

 A tenant trying to get rid of bed bugs leads to a fire in an apartment building causing thousands of dollars in damage on Monday afternoon.

 Just before 4:30p.m., Cincinnati Fire crews were called to the 900 block of Cleveland Avenue for a report of a building on fire near Cleveland Court.

When crews arrived they discovered heavy smoke and fire showing from a two-story brick apartment building. Because the fire had reached the second floor, a second alarm was issued for more help.

 The fire was brought under control within 30 minutes.

 Luckily, the occupants of the apartment had evacuated the building before fire crews arrived.

 The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental after a tenant was trying to get rid of bed bugs in her apartment using an alcohol solution.

 Damages are estimated to be $100,000.

Copyright 2011 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly