Fall Feast serves thousands - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

Fall Feast serves thousands

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

Over 6,000 Thanksgiving meals were given out this year at the annual Fall Feast in downtown Cincinnati. Organizers say the numbers are up from last year when they served 3,800 meals.

In all, 900 volunteers came out to make the event a success.

In some ways organizers were pleased to know they are reaching more people every year, but they say it is also a sad sign of the times.

Knowing many people have had a tough year, they work to make the event as much of a celebration as possible.

In addition to the food, they have music, games, face painting, balloons and more.

They also recognize many of the people that stop in are in need of more than just a hot meal so they offer other free services like flu shots and haircuts.

The event organizer says the economy has sent stereotypes out the window, bringing in people from all backgrounds to take their place at the table for this Thanksgiving meal.

"We're seeing all walks of life. We're seeing families who have lost their jobs [or] one parent works, one parent doesn't," event chairman Erin Klotzbach explained.

Melissa Bryant is one of the people impacted by the free event. She and her husband lost their jobs last December. She says they have been able to get through the last year with the help of the community.

"There are a lot of blessing here in Cincinnati, you just have to call," Bryant said.

She says events like Fall Feast are important for her to share with her children, especially during the holidays.

"It shows the kids that no matter what things are going to be OK," she said.

Copyright 2011 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Calif. governor says deal reached on National Guard mission

    Calif. governor says deal reached on National Guard mission

    Thursday, April 19 2018 3:01 AM EDT2018-04-19 07:01:58 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:55 AM EDT2018-04-19 13:55:35 GMT
    (AP Photo/Denis Poroy, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2006 file photo, members of the California National Guard work next to the U.S.-Mexico border fence near the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. President Donald Trump slammed California Gov. Jer...(AP Photo/Denis Poroy, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2006 file photo, members of the California National Guard work next to the U.S.-Mexico border fence near the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. President Donald Trump slammed California Gov. Jer...

    Gov. Jerry Brown says he has reached agreement with the Trump administration to deploy up to 400 California National Guard troops to the border and elsewhere.

    Full Story >

    Gov. Jerry Brown says he has reached agreement with the Trump administration to deploy up to 400 California National Guard troops to the border and elsewhere.

    Full Story >
  • Trump leaves open possibility of bailing on meeting with Kim

    Trump leaves open possibility of bailing on meeting with Kim

    Thursday, April 19 2018 12:52 AM EDT2018-04-19 04:52:34 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:57 AM EDT2018-04-19 13:57:16 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media during a working lunch with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, at Trump's private Mar-a-Lago club, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, in Palm Beach, Fla.(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media during a working lunch with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, at Trump's private Mar-a-Lago club, Wednesday, April 18, 2018, in Palm Beach, Fla.

    "If I think that if it's a meeting that is not going to be fruitful we're not going to go. If the meeting when I'm there is not fruitful I will respectfully leave the meeting," Trump told a news conference.

    Full Story >

    "If I think that if it's a meeting that is not going to be fruitful we're not going to go. If the meeting when I'm there is not fruitful I will respectfully leave the meeting," Trump told a news conference.

    Full Story >
  • FAA orders fan blade inspections after jet engine explosion

    FAA orders fan blade inspections after jet engine explosion

    Thursday, April 19 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:02:22 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:55 AM EDT2018-04-19 13:55:17 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...

    The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement late Wednesday comes nearly a year after the engine's manufacturer recommended the additional inspections, and a month after European regulators ordered their airlines to do the work.

    Full Story >

    The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement late Wednesday comes nearly a year after the engine's manufacturer recommended the additional inspections, and a month after European regulators ordered their airlines to do the work.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly