FLORENCE, KY (FOX19) - Live Thoroughbred racing is back at Turfway Park.
Dec. 1 marks the start of the Holiday Meet and the beginning of the winter racing season.
Live racing runs Thursday through Sunday each week with two exceptions. Turfway is closed Christmas Eve (Dec. 24)) and Christmas day (Dec. 25) but then open every day the following week for its traditional holiday schedule, including Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 26-28.
Some of the highlights during the Holiday Meet are five $50,000 stakes:
- Holiday Inaugural, 6 furlongs for fillies and mares 3 years old and up, Dec. 3
- My Charmer, 1 1/16 miles for fillies and mares 3 years old and up, Dec. 10
- Prairie Bayou, 1 1/8 miles for 3-year-olds and up, Dec. 17
- Gowell, 6 furlongs for 2-year-old fillies, Dec. 23
- Holiday Cheer, 6 furlongs for 3-year-olds and up, Dec. 31
Post time is 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and 1:10 p.m. on Sunday. Post time from Dec. 26-30 will be 1:10 p.m. Post time remains at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 31, when Turfway hosts its second annual New Year's Eve Track Bash.
The winter racing season runs without interruption through April 1 but for record keeping purposes the period is divided into two meets: the Holiday Meet, which ends Dec. 31 and the Winter/Spring Meet, which begins Jan. 1.
For the full list of events and races, click here.