BUTLER, KY (FOX19) - A fire in Butler, Kentucky destroyed one house, and left two more with severe damages.
The fire occurred around 2a.m. Saturday morning at the 100 block of Madison St.
According to witnesses, it took 20 minutes for the Butler Volunteer Fire Department crew to show up on scene, at which time they did not have the equipment needed to properly distinguish a fire. The volunteers did not have the keys to get into the Fire Department. The Butler Fire Department is located one-tenth of a mile from the now destroyed home.
Twelve hours after the fire originally ignited, flames as high as three feet were still visible emerging from the rubble. FOX19 spoke with the homeowner, Sherita Morgan, who was disappointed in the reaction she received from her community.
"I think it's really sad the way this has happened."
Next door neighbor, Dwayne Strickland's home was also significantly damaged. Strickland is a former member of the Butler Kentucky Volunteer Fire Department. He says he walked away from the position due to excessive conflict.
Strickland says the fact that the fire was still ignited is unsafe for the whole community.
"The wind could blow. It could catch another house on fire."
The family was in bed when their 3-year-old daughter woke them up saying she was hungry.
"Our little hero," Morgan said, looking at her daughter.
Morgan walked into the kitchen when she immediately saw flames and smelled the smoke. Everyone made it out of the home safely, without injury.
The damages to the house are considered a total loss. Morgan will not receive help from the American Red Cross until she can produce a fire report. At the time this story was written, Morgan was still waiting for a report from the Chief of the Volunteer Fire Department.