The Department of Transportation and Engineering is beginning street improvement work on Montana Avenue, between Craig Avenue and Baltimore Avenue, to improve the safety of the corridor using modern design standards.
The improvements include:
- Lane configuration within the existing curb lane
- Widening the roadway just east and west of Westwood Northern Boulevard to include right turn lanes
- Upgrading traffic signals
- Eliminating on-street parking
- A median island between Epworth and Harrison Avenues
- Pedestrian lighting between Epworth Avenue and La Rue Court
- Sidewalk improvements
- Street rehabilitation consisting of grinding off the existing asphalt
- Repairing and replacing deteriorating curbs
- Constructing curb ramps, sidewalks and driveway aprons where necessary
- Inlet repairs and adjustments
- Adjusting utility castings to grade
- Resurfacing the entire pavement
The following traffic restrictions will apply:
- For Montana Avenue (within 250' of Westwood Northern Boulevard), Harrison Avenue and Westwood Northern Boulevard: From 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, all lanes will be open and available to traffic. During all other working hours, at least two lanes will be open and available to traffic; one in each direction
- For Montana Avenue, except noted above, Epworth Avenue, Hazelwood Avenue, McFarland Road, Wunder Avenue, Meyer Place, Felicity Drive, Millrich Avenue and Ferncroft Drive: During all working hours, at least two lanes will be open and available to traffic; one lane in each direction.
Drivers are encouraged to reduce speed and use caution when approaching the construction area.