Children playing with fire ignite Millvale fire

MILLVALE, OH (FOX19) - Fire crews say two children playing with a lighter ignited a fire in Millvale on Sunday night.

The fire occurred in the 3100 block of Moosewood Avenue at around 10:30 p.m.

The initial arriving fire company reported a "working fire" on the second floor of a two-story, occupied dwelling. Hose lines were quickly deployed and the fire was extinguished within minutes.

Fire crews say the fire started in a second floor bedroom closet when two children with a lighter ignited clothing.  The fire consumed all the clothing in closet along with the door and the door frame, with heavy smoke damage to the bedroom.

The mother, who had fallen asleep, was alerted by a smoke detector, so she got everyone out of the house and called 911. No one was hurt.

The fire did an estimated $7,500 in damage to the structure and contents.

Copyright 2012 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.