City council members trying to halt demolition of Gamble House - Cincinnati News, Weather, Sports from FOX19 NOW-WXIX

City council members trying to halt demolition of Gamble House

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

The fight over the historic Gamble House continues with Cincinnati City Council trying to halt its demolition.

Councilman Chris Seelbach says six members of council will ask the administration to appeal a ruling by Judge Robert Winkler which would allow the house to be torn down.

"The 20th, we have a deadline that we have to either decide, the city has to decide if we're going to appeal the decision that Judge Winkler made," said Seelbach.

Seelbach says the destruction of the Gamble House would be a tragic loss.

"This issue has awakened a lot of people on the West side who have seen this as a pillar of their community for a long time and desperately want to see it restored and renovated and thriving again," he said.

The Greenacres Foundation, which owns the property, wants to demolish it because the house is badly deteriorated. However, Paul Muller with the Cincinnati Preservation Association is offering a solution.

"Renovate the house for them and give it back to them for their uses. We think we can raise about two million dollars in six months, renovate the house and make it available to them," said Muller.

Muller says the Gamble House is a valuable piece of Cincinnati history.

"Its importance goes beyond Cincinnati," he said. "There are Gamble houses across the nation that are being saved and preserved with much less connection to this pivotal figure who helped shape American industry, helped shape the West side of Cincinnati and is really one of the pioneer philanthropists in the country."

In our commitment to balanced news we reached out to the Greenacres Foundation to get their side of the story, but they declined to comment.

Copyright 2012 FOX19. All Rights Reserved.

  • FOX19 HeadlinesMore>>

  • Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff was feuding with grandmother

    Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff was feuding with grandmother

    Sunday, July 22 2018 8:49 AM EDT2018-07-22 12:49:27 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 10:12 PM EDT2018-07-23 02:12:03 GMT
    (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). Los Angeles Police SWAT officers escort a group of people who were held for their safety by police across businesses surrounding a Trader Joe's supermarket, after a gunman held dozens of people hostage inside the store bef...(AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). Los Angeles Police SWAT officers escort a group of people who were held for their safety by police across businesses surrounding a Trader Joe's supermarket, after a gunman held dozens of people hostage inside the store bef...

    Police say they're trying to determine what prompted a man to shoot his grandmother and then run into a busy Los Angeles supermarket and hold dozens of people hostage for hours.

    Full Story >

    Police say they're trying to determine what prompted a man to shoot his grandmother and then run into a busy Los Angeles supermarket and hold dozens of people hostage for hours.

    Full Story >
  • Inspector warned duck boat company of design flaws last year

    Inspector warned duck boat company of design flaws last year

    Saturday, July 21 2018 6:13 PM EDT2018-07-21 22:13:06 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 10:11 PM EDT2018-07-23 02:11:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.(AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.

    Since 1999, duck boats have been linked to the deaths of more than 40 people, with a troubled safety record on the road and water alike.

    Full Story >

    Since 1999, duck boats have been linked to the deaths of more than 40 people, with a troubled safety record on the road and water alike.

    Full Story >
  • UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    UK police think boy, 3, was attacked with acid at store

    Sunday, July 22 2018 11:04 AM EDT2018-07-22 15:04:24 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 10:11 PM EDT2018-07-23 02:11:20 GMT
    A general view of the Home Bargains store where a man is accused of an acid attack on a young boy, in Worcester, England, Sunday. British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm. (Matthew Cooper/PA via AP)A general view of the Home Bargains store where a man is accused of an acid attack on a young boy, in Worcester, England, Sunday. British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm. (Matthew Cooper/PA via AP)

    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.

    Full Story >

    British police say a 3-year-old boy suffered severe burns on his face and arm during a suspected acid attack that investigators think was deliberate.

    Full Story >
Powered by Frankly