Pan Seared Fish with Cucumber Jalapeno Slaw, Sweet Potato Mash and Asparagus
Bahama Breeze Restaurants
Peter Olsacher, Executive Chef
1 1/2 lb. Grouper, Mahi Mahi, Tilapia or fish of choice, cut into 4 fillets
1 tsp. creole seasoning blend
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 tbs. olive oil
4 tbs. reduced balsamic drizzle
2 cups Sweet Potato Mash (recipe below)
12 asparagus spears, cooked
1/3 cup Cucumber Jalapeno Slaw (recipe below)
4 fresh cilantro sprigs
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 lime, thinly sliced
2 tbs. chopped chives
1) Heat oil in nonstick pan to high heat. Season fish with Creole seasoning blend and place in hot sauté pan cooking for 2-3 minutes until it has a seared color. Flip the fish over and finish cooking until done or until at 145 degrees.
2) Make 5-6 zig-zags with the reduced balsamic drizzle on each of four plates. Place the hot sweet potato mash in the center of plate and place 3 spears of asparagus radiating out from mash to the side. Place the fish on top of the sweet potatoes, top the fish with the cucumber-jalapeno slaw, and lay a cilantro sprig atop the slaw.
3) Garnish each plate with a lemon and lime slice and sprinkle with chopped chives.
* Gently heat balsamic vinegar in pot, reducing to 1/6th of original volume; funnel into a squeeze bottle. Refrigerate.
Sweet Potato Mash
2 quarts water, hot
1 tbs. salt
4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, 2" dice
¾ cup milk
2 oz butter, ½" dice
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. kosher salt
¼ cup brown sugar
1. Place the peeled and diced sweet potatoes in a 6 quart pot. Add hot water and salt, then place the stockpot on the stove over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 35 minutes or until an inserted fork in the sweet potatoes pierce easily.
2. Heat the milk, butter, white pepper and cinnamon in a small stockpot until warm, then set aside for step 3.
3. Drain the water from the sweet potatoes and transfer them into a mixing bowl. Using a wire whisk, mash until sweet potatoes are broken up. Add the warm seasoned milk and spices, mix again until the sweet potatoes are smooth - being careful not to over mix. If needed, season with additional salt to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Makes 8 servings
Cucumber Jalapeno Slaw
1 lb. salad cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and cored, cut into 1/8 " rings
1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
½ cup rice vinegar
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. creole seasoning
¼ tsp. cumin, fresh ground
½ oz. fresh cilantro, chopped
½ tsp. habanero or favorite hot sauce
1) Place the sliced cucumbers, red and yellow bell peppers, jalapeno and red onions in a stainless mixing bowl.
2) Combine the remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mix with a wire whip until evenly blended. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss until evenly blended. Adjust seasoning with additional kosher salt, if desired.
3) Chill for at least 4 hours before using.