CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - Cincinnati Reds President and General Manager Walt Jocketty has confirmed that All-Star first baseman Joey Votto will be signed to a ten-year contract extension, keeping him with the Reds through 2023.
Votto had previously been signed through 2013 as part of a three-year contract.
As a part of the new contract, Votto would have a club option for 2024. "I can't promise you anything going forward," said Votto during a Wednesday press conference. " I can't promise health and I can't promise production or anything like that. I can promise you I'm going to try and do my best. I've worked my tail off to get to this point."
"We recognize the historical significance of this signing. Ownership has committed to Joey, and we anticipate that he will continue to be one of the best players in baseball for the next decade or so," Jocketty said. "He wants to stay here, and we want him here. We have shown we are committed to building a solid foundation from within the organization."
Added team President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini, "Joey not only is one of the game's best players, but on the field and in the community he represents himself, the organization and our city with extraordinary professionalism and dignity. We certainly are proud to be able to keep him in Cincinnati for 12 more years."
Votto, 28, is a two-time NL All-Star (2010, 2011), a Sporting News NL All-Star (2010) and the only Reds first baseman ever to win a Rawlings Gold Glove Award (2011). In the Sporting News' 2011 poll of baseball executives was rated the fourth-best player in baseball behind Albert Pujols, Troy Tulowitzki and Felix Hernandez.
Three times in the last 4 seasons Votto was voted by the local chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America the Ernie Lombardi Award as the Reds' Most Valuable Player (2008, 2010, 2011).