CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - An anonymous victim and her guardians are seeking punitive damages in a civil lawsuit against Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center for negligence in not reporting sexual abuse of a minor.
According to the lawsuit, a registered sex offender brought his 4-year-old daughter to the hospital on January 3, 2008 with "active vaginal bleeding...and other obvious evidence of sexual abuse."
The suit says the father told the hospital she "had been injured by falling on a toy."
The father, Christopher Lukacs, was arrested and charged in 2009 for sexual abuse and is currently serving four consecutive life sentences in prison.
But it wasn't until March 31, 2008 that the hospital realized its patient was a victim of sexual abuse.
"We're going to find out more and more about what actually happened there at Children's Hospital beyond just what we could gather there through the medical records," says the victim's attorney Zach Gottesman.
Gottesman says the victim's guardians, her grandparents, brought her back to the hospital on March 31 for another evaluation and evidence of sexual abuse.
"Her father is a registered sex offender who had his name and picture with a prior sexual offense against a minor. Somebody should have checked that and if they would have done that and done that properly they would have put two and two together here because it was pretty obvious," says Gottesman.
Gottesman says he has not heard from Children's attorneys.
In an email to FOX19, Children's Hospital says it "...cannot comment on pending litigation."
The plaintiffs are demanding judgement in excess of $25,000 plus court costs.