OVER THE RHINE, OH (FOX19) - A fire broke out at an apartment building located at the intersection of McMicken and Vine in Over the Rhine around 2:45 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Initial arriving fire units reported smoke showing from a four-story dwelling with people on the second floor. A second alarm was requested due to the size of the building and the potential for multiple fire victims.
Hose lines were quickly advanced to the second and third floors to control and extinguish the fire while other companies were performing search and rescue operations on the fire floor and above. The fire was quickly brought under control and 12 people were rescued by firefighters without injury.
Damage is estimated at $60,000, with the majority of the damage being confined to the apartment of origin and adjacent hallway.
The tenant reported that her boyfriend was attempting to fry chicken on the stove and left the hot oil unattended and it ignited.
The Red Cross is assisting those who have been displaced.