FINNEYTOWN, OH (FOX19) – - Fire investigators have not ruled out fireworks as a possible cause of an early morning house fire.
Neighbors say they heard "pops" last night, and a piece of a firework was found on the side of the home. At this point it's unclear if they fire started on the outside of the home and burned inward or started on the inside and burned outward.
A woman was home and sleeping at the time, her dog woke her up and she was able to escape and call 911 just after 12:30 a.m..
One firefighter was injured after a nail punctured his leg. He was taken to Mercy Hospital and is expected to be fine. Firefighters had to cut a section of the roof for ventilation while battling heavy conditions.
Early damage is estimated at $50,000.
Investigators will return to finished assessments later in the day.