Firefighters warn of grass fires following blaze at playground - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Firefighters warn of grass fires following blaze at playground

CAMP WASHINGTON, OH (FOX19) -

Local firefighters are warning homeowners, residents and motorists about the potential for grass and mulch fires with the hot and dry conditions.

The warning comes after a Camp Washington playground was destroyed by fire Wednesday afternoon. Fire investigators believe it may have been mulch fire or discarded cigarette that caused the blaze.

So how common is the issue? Area firefighters say they have been busy this month, putting out several grass and mulch all over the Tri-State.

Fire officials believe many of these fires started from cigarette butts.

Copyright 2012 WXIX. All rights reserved.

News Headlines

Tips to prevent mulch and grass fires

Updated:

Don't overdo it with the mulch: one to three inches deep is plenty Be careful with where you place landscape lights Consider non-combustible alternatives like rocks or gravel - even as a buffer before More>>

SLIDESHOW: The Big Pig Gig

Updated:

Nearly 100 pigs have been adopted by local business, schools and profits for the return of the Big Pig Gig. Here is a sample of some of the pigs that you will find! More>>

Powered by Frankly