Neighbor helps rescue children from Bond Hill fire - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Neighbor helps rescue children from Bond Hill fire

BOND HILL, OH (FOX19) -

A neighbor helped rescue children from a fire in Bond Hill early Sunday morning.

A fire broke out at about 3:45 a.m. in the 5300 block of Grafton Street.

Prior to fire department arrival, a neighbor was startled from his sleep by the sound of kids screaming for help. Upon investigation he found the neighboring home on fire with one adult and three kids trapped at the second floor window.

His wife quickly notified the fire department via the 911 system while he assisted the family to escape the smoke and flames. The neighbor was able to catch the three children, ages 4, 10 and 13, without harm. He attempted to rescue the mother of the children, but smoke and heat conditions prevented it.

Upon arrival, fire companies found a rapidly advancing kitchen fire in the structure. Fire companies made an aggressive interior attack and were able to block the fire from extending to the second floor, while simultaneously placing ground ladders to rescue the mother of the children. In addition; a female dog, with a liter of four puppies were rescued from the structure.

The Red Cross responded to assist the family.

Damage is estimated at $15,000. The cause of the fire was unattended food on the kitchen stove. There were no working smoke detectors for early warning in the structure.

No one was hurt.

Copyright 2012 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly