Fire at St. Paul Village in Madisonville - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Cardboard box on stove ignites fire at senior living facility

MADISONVILLE, OH (FOX19) -

Investigators say a cardboard box placed on an electric stove sparked a fire Monday afternoon at a senior living facility.

The fire broke out at St. Paul Village in the 5500 block of Madison Road just after noon.

Two fire companies were dispatched to investigate and the initial arriving company reported smoke showing from the first floor of a 3-story brick multi-family senior citizen residential facility. A one-alarm fire compliment was immediately requested and an aggressive interior fire attack was initiated.

One lower level apartment was involved in fire and most of the building residents self evacuated the building upon hearing the alarm. The fire was quickly brought under control by Cincinnati Firefighters, in less than 10 minutes from dispatch, limiting fire spread to one room of the involved apartment.

Damage from fire, smoke, and water is estimated at $25,000.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. Movers were helping a resident move into the apartment and it appears packing boxes were placed on the top of the electric stove and the control switch was inadvertently bumped into the on position, causing eventual ignition of the cardboard boxes.

No one was hurt.

Copyright 2012 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly