Six teens who allegedly beat Pat Mahaney in NCH sent to jail - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Teens accused in North College Hill beating sent to jail

Posted: Updated:
Pat Mahaney Pat Mahaney
NORTH COLLEGE HILL, OH (FOX19) -

The six teens who brutally beat a man because they were bored were sent to jail. Five of the six teenagers are 13 years old, the other is 14 years old.  According to observers, most of them looked even younger than that.

All six were in court Friday but only one came from the jail. Five of the boys were on house arrest after they first appeared in court Aug. 13, because that magistrate didn't know just how badly police and prosecutors say the kids beat up North College Hill resident Pat Mahaney, 45. Photos show tubes coming out of his nose and bruises and cuts over much of his face. He was in the hospital four days.

Today's magistrate, David Kelley, knew the severity of the beating and sent all six to jail. Five were given a bond of $20,000, the other $40,000. Police say they confessed to walking past Mahaney, then turning around and coming up from behind and knocking him to the ground and then punching and kicking him. It happened at the intersection of Dallas Avenue and Simpson Avenue at 8:30 on Saturday night Aug. 12 while he was walking home from a store. 

Due to the severity of the beating, prosecutors asked that the kids be classified as a Serious Youthful Offender. The last time that happened in Hamilton County was in 2008 when a juvenile was charged with murder. The classification also allows for a longer sentence if they're convicted.

All six are charged with second degree felonies, which if they were adults and were convicted, would put them in jail for up to 16 years.

"We sought this because of the egregious facts of the case and the horrific allegations," said Dotty Smith, Hamilton County Juvenile Court Prosecutor. "It's unusual for us to seek this but due to the severity of the crime, we wanted to make sure we have the option to sentence them as an adult, if convicted."

But who are these kids? FOX19 is not identifying them because they're juveniles but four of them had no criminal record, their attorneys said they are "A" and "B" students. All of them were on the school's football team, until last week. One of the boys has a misdemeanor theft charge pending and one of them just got off probation in June for attempting to break into a house. All were represented by court appointed attorneys.

Copyright 2012 WXIX. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow