Spider Fire

Mall evacuated after worker starts fire trying to kill spider

Here's how NOT to kill a spider. A worker at a sporting goods store near Binghamton, New York, tried to kill a spider by burning it. He wound up starting a fire that caused the evacuation of a mall yesterday. Police say an assistant manager at a Champs Sports store doused a spider with a flammable substance and lit it. The flames quickly spread to merchandise in the storage area. No one was hurt, but several stores had smoke and water damage. Smoke from the fire filled the mall, forcing it to close for the day. Police charged the employee with fourth-degree arson, a felony.