Careless use of candles blamed for Evanston fire on Wabash - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Careless use of candles blamed for Evanston fire

EVANSTON, OH (FOX19) -

Cincinnati fire crews say careless use of candles caused a fire Wednesday night in Evanston.

It happened just before 11 a.m. in the 3400 block of Wabash Avenue.

First arriving fire companies had trouble identifying the house on fire, due to the heavy amount of smoke in the street. Once the structure was identified, there was heavy smoke showing from the attic area as well as the second floor.

The building occupant stated the fire was in the basement. An aggressive interior attack was initiated and the fire was extinguished.

The fire appeared to have burned for awhile before notification and had caused considerable fire damage in the basement and first floor, as well as heavy smoke and heat damage to the second floor. 

There was one occupant in the building at the time who was able to escape unharmed.

Damage is estimated at $25,000. Citizens are reminded to not leave candles burning unattended.

Copyright 2012 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly