CLIFTON, OH (FOX19) - University of Cincinnati Police say the holiday season lead to increased car thefts.
Authorities suggest to not leave valuables in the passenger compartment of your car, but rather, take them inside or lock them in the trunk.
Personal electronics are the most commonly stolen items, according to UC police. However, anything can be a target, including spare change in the cup holder.
Students living in off-campus apartments can also be a target.
Campus authorities have a few tips before heading home for the holidays:
- Cancel mail delivery or arrange for someone else to pick it up
- Leave a light on and a radio on a timer to suggest the apartment is occupied
- Take portable valuables (laptops, cameras, jewelry, etc.) with you
- Make sure the landlord has a contact number to reach you in case of an emergency
- Keep inventory of your property (make, model, serial number)